First & Franklin Presbyterian Church building was erected between 1854 and 1859. The building is a fine example of a style called “Gothic Revival” or “Lancet Gothic” or “Flamboyant Gothic”. The exterior is made of rose colored New Brunswick freestone. The interior sanctuary has a magnificent triple vaulted ceiling which features massive plaster pendants. It is considered to be one of the most spectacular Victorian plaster interiors in the United States. The steeple was completed in 1879 and is the tallest in Baltimore at 273 feet tall; it was built using structural iron, a new building material for its day.
The stained glass windows were added as memorials between 1875 and 1946. Three of the West windows were executed by Tiffany and Co.; the other windows were made by various companies in England, Italy, New York, and Boston.